Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Preparing For NCOS... As A New Artist


It was one year ago this April that I first spotted a 4"x 5" flyer titled "North Coast Open Studios" on the counter in The Art Center. As a new Humboldt County resident and a career changing, fledgling artist I was interested in participating in every art event I could find. Sadly I realized this NCOS was for artists with studios. At the time I still considered my art a hobby and I really didn't have a studio. I thought..."Well, maybe next year I'll have my own studio."

Actually the timing was good. I found I could leisurely cruise the artists in the NCOS map & guidebook and see how all the other artists set up their work places... maybe get some ideas. I found the weekend to be perfectly inspiring. I made some new artist friends, and here I am today, getting ready for NCOS with my own studio.

I think this will be fun. An entire weekend of welcoming art seekers into my most favorite space in the world...my studio. Unlike Arts Alive this will be daytime, quieter and more relaxed. Hopefully there will be more time to actually talk to people about my art, and their art too.

Preparations? Some cleaning, a lot of new paintings, cooking up some wonderful little bites of food that go well with art and wine and I'm ready.

Fran Kuta
First time NCOS Artist in 2010 & NCOS Steering Committee Member
Frances Kuta Fine Art at www.franceskuta.com

No comments:

Post a Comment